We believe that high-quality martial arts training should be available to as many people as possible, and have taken steps to make our space and courses accessible to a broad range of students. Our publicly posted and actively-enforced training space rules specifically prohibit discriminatory or harassing behaviour based on race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnic or religious background, and ability, and we will respond quickly and seriously to all forms of harassment. You can read about our ongoing accessibility initiatives below. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.
Our street-level location is fully accessible to students and visitors with mobility impairments. We have a large accessible washroom with sink, toilet, and grab bars installed at standard heights for wheelchair users, and provide ramp access onto our raised training floor. We are also in the process of transitioning to scent-free cleaners and soaps, to accommodate students with chemical sensitivities.
We prefer to run smaller classes (6-12 students, on average), and maintain a minimum teacher:student ratio of 6:1 to make sure that nobody is left behind in group lessons. For students who require additional assistance, we're happy to offer private or semi-private instruction, increase the ratio of instructors to students, or make it possible for care aids and other assistive personnel to participate in classes alongside their clients at no additional cost.
All of our workouts are scalable, and we're always happy to offer exercise modifications to address past injuries, chronic illness or disability, or mobility limitations. No prior training or existing fitness level is required to participate in any of our ongoing classes, and any requirements for workshops or special events will be listed in detail on event info pages.
Our washrooms and change rooms are all single-user, gender-neutral spaces. We welcome students of all genders, and aim to keep our classes free of the machismo that often arises in martial arts spaces. We recognize that some students benefit from training in a single-gender environment, and will periodically offer classes that are open exclusively to female-/femme-identified students. Attendance is open to all who self-identify as women, or are comfortable being identified and treated as women for the duration of the event. Any gender-restricted event will be clearly advertised as such in all promotional material, and we may run other specialized events in the future.
Our group teaching and private coaching is designed to work with a range of body types. We will always meet you wherever you are in your training and fitness journey, and focus on functional body mechanics and mobility over adherence to form. Our instructors have experience coaching students with care and respect as they went through many physical transformations, from substantial weight change, to pregnancy and gender transition.
We recognize that not everyone who wants to train with us is able to pay our package or course rates. For students experiencing financial hardship, we offer the following support:
- Workshop sponsorship: once any one of our workshops has reached its minimum attendance threshold (the number of people required to run an event, which usually varies from 1-4), we will invite 1-2 interested students who cannot otherwise afford the event to participate at no cost. If you would like to be considered for sponsorship, please email us with the name of the workshop you are interested in attending.
- Community Credit Pool: we maintain a pool of free credits for use by members of our community on a limited basis. Rules are as follows:
- any student without an active credit package (or with the agreement of our staff) may spend up to 4 credits/month from the Community Credit Pool on any classes, workshops, or private lessons that can normally be purchased with credits
- the pool will be maintained at a minimum of 16 credits/month by Valkyrie WMAA
- anyone wishing to assist with the accessibility of our classes may donate additional credits to the pool at any time