As of today, there have been 53 confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) in British Columbia.
The provincial health authority has cancelled all gatherings of 250 or more people, and travel outside of the country is being strongly discouraged. School closures and other more drastic measures are not yet being recommended.
While there are no official regulations telling us to close the school, we are aware that one of the primary tools for slowing the spread of the illness is social distancing.
The Government of Canada is currently recommending the following social distancing measures:
- Isolation is recommended for a symptomatic individual that is suspected of having, or known to have, COVID-19. They are directed to isolate themselves at home and avoid contact with others until they are no longer considered contagious.
- Voluntary home quarantine (“self-isolation”) is recommended for an asymptomatic person, when they have a high risk of exposure to the virus, (i.e., through close contact with a symptomatic person or their body fluids).
- Protective self-separation is recommended for a person who is at high-risk for severe illness from COVID-19 (e.g., older adults, those with chronic underlying medical conditions or immunocompromised) when the virus is circulating in their community.
- Voluntary avoidance of crowded places is recommended for a person who is asymptomatic and who is considered to have had a medium risk of exposure to the virus (provided care for a confirmed case, or had other similar close physical contact with consistent and appropriate use of personal protective equipment, or who lived or otherwise had prolonged contact but was not within 2 metres of a case) Examples of these settings include mass gatherings, such as concerts and sporting events.
Valkyrie is currently open, and classes are operating as normal.
If you have any symptoms, have had contact with someone who has a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19, or are immunocompromised or otherwise at risk of developing serious complications from this virus, please do not come to class.
If you do come in, please follow these steps when arriving at the school:
- immediately remove your street shoes and outerwear and store them off the training floor
- wash your hands thoroughly
We are monitoring the situation closely, and are prepared to cancel
classes and/or temporarily move to online instruction when it becomes
necessary for keeping our community safe. We will be following the guidelines set out by the Vancouver Coastal Health authority.
Major updates will be sent by email, and all individual class closures will be reflected in our class calendar and posted to our Facebook page.
Thank you for your patience and understanding in this unusual situation. Be well!