Courtney Rice – President*
Courtney Rice co-founded Valkyrie WMAA with David in 2012, and helped develop the Box Wrestle Fence training program. She is a graduate of Emily Carr University of Art and Design, and her creative vision has guided the visual design of the school’s space and branding. Courtney leads the Valkyrie Longsword program, and is the primary point of contact for our corporate clients. A formidable mixed martial artist, she is equally at home in the boxing ring, on the wrestling mats, and on the fencing floor.
Kaja Sadowski – Vice President
A scholar and a swordswoman, Kaja Sadowski has studied Western Martial Arts since 2010 and holds a Master of Arts degree in English Literature. She also has a background in small business management, community outreach, and physical instruction. Kaja is the lead instructor of the Valkyrie Self Defense program, and manages the school’s website, written marketing materials, and student outreach. She is a skilled rapier and knife duellist, and is developing into a well-rounded unarmed fighter.
David R. Packer – Head Instructor
David is the founder of Valkyrie WMAA and the creator of the Box Wrestle Fence system. He has over 35 years of martial arts experience, and has established three swordplay schools: Academie Duello Centre for Swordplay, Scatha Combat Guild, and Valkyrie WMAA. David is responsible for our teaching curriculum, personal training programming, and ongoing professional development for our coaching team. His hallmark as a fighter is his flexibility and integration of multiple martial traditions, and he is a challenging opponent in any venue.
* The positions of President and Vice-President are determined via public combat every October. The winner of the duel serves as President for the following year. The current record of winners and fights is below:
- 2014-2015: Kaja Sadowski, rapier fight (best of 5 rounds)
- 2015-2016: Kaja Sadowski, boxing, wrestling, and rapier fights (by audience applause)
- 2016-2017: Courtney Rice, rapier fight with sharp points and balloons (first to pop 7 targets)
- 2017-2018: Courtney Rice, "mounted" joust and longsword combat (by points)